My Thoughts on "Bonjour Tristesse" by Françoise Sagan

 I really enjoyed reading the text "Bonjour Tristesse" by Françoise Sagan. It was a novel that flowed very well and was something that was easy to interpret and understand. I found the storyline very interesting and easy to follow. Cécile's thoughts towards both her education and life was something that was extremely surprising to me. I figured since the novel was written a while ago, that education was an extremely important factor in life as well as the most important one. It was interesting to see the character of Cécile not hold an interest for education as I feel as though that is very comparable to today's time for a lot of people. I feel like the importance or significance of living a happy and peaceful life was of higher priority for Cécile and that is something that is really interesting to me and was calming to read. I found that Cécile's relationship with Anne was a bit confusing. It seemed as though she had hated Anne at tines, but loved and adored her at others. This confused me because I did not know if Cécile cherished her relationship with Anne or if she dreaded it. It seemed like at times Cécile had a very strong connection for Anne and that she needed Anne to be in her life. In the end it was shown that Cécile really cherished her relationship with Anne and strongly regretted her decision to build a plan for her father to get back with Elsa. My question is why is Cécile so back and forth which how he feels towards Anne?

I was extremely shocked in the ending of this novel. It was sad how it ended and I did not think that could have been the possible ending I was surprised that Cécile's father, Raymond had even gone so far as to kiss Elsa, as it had seemed like they had gone without talking for months and it also seemed like Raymond has mixed feelings about Anne as well. So to just move back to Elsa with that speed was really surprising to me when he clearly loved Anne. It was shown towards the end of the novel how big of an impact Anne had on both Cécile and Raymond, that she really was important to the both of them. She was able to give them structure and purpose which was something that was very significant to them and it was shown through their emotions.

Comments

  1. I think that Cecile did care a lot about Anne and even admired her but she also enjoyed the simple life she was living. Cecile felt that she could not have the two together and that someone would need to compromise. She tried to demonstrate to Anne that they could not be changed and that Anne would have to find a way to accept that they are going to be living a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding your question, I beleive that the reasson why Cécile was so back and forth which how she feels towards Anne is because she felt a sort of admiration for her and even a proper maternal figure but she also felt she intervined in the way she and her father lived which was what at the end of the day she attributed the most value.

    -Montserrat Avendano

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt Cécile's "back and forth" behaviour and Raymond's kiss with Elsa both show irresponsibility, which was portrayed almost as a characteristic of both Cécile and her father (Raymond). It seemed like Cécile detested Anne's interruption to her and her father's somewhat irresponsible life, by bringing order and responsibility into it. An example would be studies; Cécile hated the fact that Anne brought her a responsibility to study, whereas her father did not bother before. I think this responsibility vs. irresponsibility is another good perspective to view Cécile's back and forth behaviour.

    - Daniel Choi

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to your question, I think Cecile had mixed feelings towards Anne because she was immature. That isn't necessarily an insult to Cecile, but she was at stage in her life where she felt comfortable and didn't want Anne to change any of that. I also found it interesting that you thought Cecile would be more focused on her studies because of her age. In contrast, I thought it was rational for Cecile to have a carefree spirit, as she is coming of age and discovering herself, so naturally she wants to have memorable experiences which she can't really do if she's locked up in her room to study as Anne attempts to do. I think this also demonstrates Cecile's immaturity, but at her age I think it is still reasonable - though other students her age may be more focused on their studies.

    - Aliyah Khan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I really appreciated your view of the novel, many that I read were a lot more negative! It is nice to consider some more positivity. I was also absolutely shocked at the ending of the book - wow!! To answer your question, I think that Cecile did care a lot about Anne and even admired her in a way. I also think that Cecile was in a part of her life where she was finally comfortable and used to her life and Anne was seen as person who would change that
    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Taia! I also found it interesting how dismissive Cécile is of formal education in the novel, not only the direct skills learned through education, but the foundation that it serves for interpersonal interactions later in life. I think that subconsciously Cécile knows that having Anne in her life is something that is positive, but she fears that having Anne will mean losing her the freedoms in her current life, or perhaps she is afraid that Anne is replacing her deceased mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Taia! I feel like Cecile is so hot and cold with Anne because there is conflict in who see she's her as. Anne is her role model, almost second mother but also someone who is strict and prohibits her from having fun. She is confused and therefore will act out oddly with her depending on what role Anne is fulfilling at the time in Ceciles life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Taia, I really enjoyed reading your post, and also found the text to be surprising at times and definatly also shocked by the sadness at the end. I think that Anne had a big impact on Raymond because there was a genuine connection between the two and he viewed her more seriously than his past, younger flings. I think that Cecile had a difficult time with her emotions towards Anne because she really admired her, but her emotions we conflicted as she felt that Anne would negativly impact the relationship with her father.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

my thoughts on "Paris Peasant" by Louis Aragon

My thoughts on "The Time of the Doves" by Mercè Rodoreda